Saturday, November 6, 2010

Week 11 Reflections

This week was a bit of a better week than last week. The work seemed more manageable for some reason. I enjoyed this week’s topic and discussion points entitled, “Teacher Talk” and “Socratic Questioning.” I thought my classmates’ suggestions for how to conduct a Socratic discussion were useful, and I think that this method of discussion would work well in many lessons.

Module 7

After reading Module 7, I understood how complex thinking about, preparing for, and actually speaking in a class can be, and what aspects of speaking I might need to work on before I actually teach. I learned that the speed in which you speak is very important. I know that I tend to speak rather quickly, and I know that I will need to monitor my speed when I speak in front of students. Also, I learned that both informal and formal speech can be used and that there are varying times to use either. For example, when conducting a lecture, the teacher might speak in formal speech, but when having a group discussion with students, the teacher might speak in informal speech. I never realized how complex teacher talk is and how many different aspects there are to consider.

Website Recommendation: http://www.teachingtips.com
This website could be used as an excellent source for struggling teachers. The website provides helpful tips for many different issues that teacher face.

No comments:

Post a Comment