This week’s discussion was about the validity of open-book tests and how to combat cheating. Firstly, although I do not generally like open-book tests, I can now see some merit in them after reading some of my classmates’ responses. Originally, I thought students might have the misconception that open-book tests were easy and then come unprepared for the exam, shocked by how long it was taking to find the answer. However, after reading my classmates’ responses, I can see how some students might dive deeper into the book, familiarizing themselves with it in order to effectively use it in the exam. I found this view to be very valid. In regards to the second prompt about cheating, I thought my classmates’ responses were really good. Some thought that effectively preparing students for exams and reducing the point value for each exam may prompt real study instead of cheating. Others felt that teaching on how cheating was unethical could be an effective method for reducing cheating.
Module 9
This chapter was about “Assessing and Reporting Student Achievement” and was most insightful for me. I particularly liked the section entitled “Using Student Portfolios.” This section was about assessing students through a comprehensive portfolio. I found this subject to be interesting because within the MoST program, they have switched from “comprehensive exams” in the traditional sense to “portfolios.” I like the concept of portfolio’s better in that you take the best of your work and place it into an easy to access portfolio. Teacher and students can quickly see the projects the student has done and how they have improved overtime. Also, the students are judged in a more holistic manner, which tends to be good for students who may not test well, but can show proficiency in a subject through non-traditional methods. I think more programs should consider switching from the summative assessments to a portfolio method.
Website Recommendation: www.bedycasa.com
This site seems like it might be a good site for finding homestays abroad. This would be helpful for those of us who want to teach abroad for a short time, but haven’t figured out housing.
No comments:
Post a Comment