Sunday, October 31, 2010

Week 10 Reflections

It seems like the semester is starting to wind down to the end. I am surprised at how quickly it has gone by, but also I am realizing how much more work there is to do! This week’s discussion board prompt about “The Pedagogical Continuum” was very engaging because it is a topic that has been on my mind for a number of months. I exerted my opinion that I tend to like “direct teaching” and “teacher-centered instruction” over “discovery learning” and “student-centered instruction.” I was wary about posting my true opinion because I know it is against the most recent movement in education. Although I do maintain that I personally enjoy “teacher-centered” classrooms, one of my classmates brought up the point that students that are going through the education system now are growing up with “student-lead instruction” methods and it is normal to them. This was a point I had not considered and it was a very relevant point. It made me think about how the way in which a person learns as a child directly effects how they are comfortable learning later in life.

Module 6

This chapter was entitled, “Student-Centered Instructional Strategies” and was a most interesting chapter. Through this chapter I really examined the difference between “delivery mode” and “access mode.” I could clearly see the strengths and weaknesses of both ways of teaching. I also enjoyed reading my classmates’ posts about their college experiences and what level on the ladder (pg. 236, figure 6.4) their experience was positioned.

Website Recommendation: http://www.inspiringteachers.com/index.html
This website is a great general resource for teachers. It contains helpful hints on how to deal with a gamut of issues including irate parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment