Sunday, September 12, 2010

Week 3 Reflection Blog

Week 3: General Reflection
I thought that the articles that we were required to read this week were intriguing. The Dotger article was the most interesting because it detailed the parent-teacher simulation and how the prospective teachers handled each situation. I thought the simulation was an interesting way to engage pre-service teachers in conversations with “parents” that all have differing problems and perspectives about their children.

Kellough Module 3: Page 70-93

Module 3 entitled, “Establishing and Maintaining a Safe and Supportive Classroom Learning Environment” described how historically the concept of classroom management has changed over the years and also explained how teachers can effectively manage their classrooms. The idea of classroom management has greatly changed in the last century. On page 72, the authors explain how teachers used to approach classroom management which in the early 1800’s meant classroom discipline and punishment. Much has changed as time progressed and now modern teachers view classroom management as classroom control where the teacher is in control of the classroom, but not actively disciplining the student. The idea now is to take preventative measures by planning and effectively communicating to students what is expected in the classroom. One portion of this chapter that I found particularly interesting was the “Guidelines for developing withitness.” Although I found the term, “withitness” to be humorous, I did like the components found in the guidelines. New teachers could use this guideline for a quick reference on how to be aware at all times about what is going on in the classroom. For example, “move around the room,” though this concept seems simple, new teachers may feel most comfortable in the front of the room and fail to move around the room thus allowing students to occupy themselves with non-classroom related material and/or conversations. Overall, I thought this chapter was very useful for understanding the importance of classroom management in general as well as explain how to step-by-step create a classroom that is management efficiently and successfully.

Wong Chapters 11, 12, 13, 14

Chapter 11 was a reinforcement of Module 3 in the Kellough book. It explicitly stated that “classroom management overarches everything in curriculum” (Wong, 80). It is easy to see from both books that classroom management is essential for aiding students learning process. In chapter 11, it explains how consistency is extremely important for students and if the teacher has prepared a through classroom management plan before the start of the first day of class and then establishes the plan as the norm for the classroom on the first day, the students will understand the parameters of the classroom and will act accordingly.

Chapter 12 expounded on the importance on preparation. Teachers must be ready for their students on the first day. One component of this chapter that I found interesting was how on page 93 under the title “Before You Move a Single Desk” the teacher must establish the classroom management plan. I liked how the book explained that it is more important to have your plan ready than your classroom perfect. I do not think it had occurred to me that the room can wait for the sake of the creation of an effective management plan.

Chapter 13 was about introducing yourself to your class and their parents. The focus of this chapter was on how to communicate with parents before the start of the school year and why this simple act can make a lasting impression with the parents of your future students. The chapter also outlines how to greet your students on their first day. I liked the tips for what to include in an email to each parent. A picture of the teacher was on the list and I can see why this would be a useful to the parents. I know that once I have a face to connect with a name, I feel more connected to the person.

Chapter 14 is entitled “How to Arrange and Assign Seating.” I found this chapter to be interesting because it explained that if the teacher greets each student before the student enters the classroom and the student feels welcomed, this will set the stage for a great year. Also, when each student is given a seat assignment, the students feel that they belong and will quickly adjust to their new environment. The chapter talks about seat assignments and how each way of arranging the desks can facilitate a different activity. For the first day, however it is important that all the desks are facing the front and that all the students can see the teacher.

Website Recommendation: http://www.daveseslcafe.com/

This website is great for educators who are looking to teach English in another country. It posts job opportunities in numerous countries and can aid in the successful apprehension of an English teaching position.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the website recommendation! I've always wondered what would be a legitimate website when looking for jobs abroad :)

    ReplyDelete